Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Spring Tea Party

I have to admit for the last 5 years I have watched Downton Abbey.  Through love and loves lost.  From Carson ringing the dong.  The death of Isis, the families beloved dog.  The possibility of rekindled love and the marriages of young lovers.  The quips between the Dowager Countess and her friend Isobel Crawley are a hoot.  I love the elegance of the upstairs dinners, parties, and the high and low teas.  How they had a servant below for pretty much everything-like cleaning up the shoes!  Can I get someone in my house to clean up the shoes?  (Oh right, that’s me with a washrag.)  I just love the idea of a period gone by where men were gentleman and women were ladies-no matter what your level in society was.  Perhaps someday our society can go back to that.  

So, much like the Crawley’s, this year, I decided to have a Spring Tea Party.  A time where we could get dressed up, wear pearls, and hats, drink tea like ladies and gobble down savory and yummy treats.
I invited family, friends and neighbors.  Even though some couldn't make it, the event couldn't have gone any better than if we were being served by Carson himself.  I did follow the old tradition of serving the tea to the guests.  I was nervously happy about that. 

We had so much fun.  We had scones, but I’m sure nothing like Ms. Patmore would have made, cucumber and cream chive finger sandwiches, chicken salad on croissants.  Yes I cheated.  Honestly, the correct dense bread was hidden from me.  Our desserts were yummy too:  Strawberries, lemon pound cake, strawberry shortcake cookies, almond cookies and carrot cake as the star of the desserts.  The teas ranged from English Earl Tea to fruit and peppermint teas.  It was so fun to try and smell all the different teas.  What a delight!  

I had the best couple of hours I have had in a while.  I even forgot about CRPS and Fibromyalgia for a bit.  The best part is EVERYONE DECIDED TO HAVE IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!!  I was giddy. I have a full year to make it bigger and better!  Here are some pictures of the party.  


Decorating for me was just as much fun as having it, itself.  

Our very own chandelier ;-)
Spring Tulips and Bunnies
Rose Tealights
How I made it through decorating!

I wish for all of us to have a jolly time!

Sincerely,

Renée M.

No comments: